EPP for gTLDs
All registration and management of domains can be done using the Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP). This will be available over both IPv4 and IPv6. Our EPP service complies with the following Request for Comments (RFCs):
|Extension||Nominet TLDs||Amazon TLDs|
|RFC 5730 – Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP)||✔||✔|
|RFC 5731 – Domain Name Mapping||✔||✔|
|RFC 5732 – Host Mapping||✔||✔|
|RFC 5733 – Contact Mapping||✔||✔|
|RFC 5734 – EPP transport over TCP||✔||✔|
|RFC 3915 – Domain Registry Grace Period Mapping||✔||✔|
|RFC 5910 – Domain Name System Security Extensions Mapping||✔||✔|
|Registry Fee extension||✔||✔|
|Token based registration extension||X||✔|
|Launch phase mapping **||X||✔|
|Validate Mapping for EPP||✔||X|
The above RFCs contain example XML for the standard EPP commands and response codes.
* Only check and create commands.
** During the launch phases transfer, delete and update operations will not be permitted for applications.
How to connect to the EPP server
Establish an SSL connection to the relevant EPP server using a valid certificate from a well known public CA (Certificate Authority) and any intermediate certificates in the chain.
|Amazon, Nominet, Pharmacy, Second Genistry gTLDs||“TLD”.epp.nominet.uk||700|
Nominet EPP implementation
Nominet has implemented its EPP provision with the following attributes:
- We require TLS 1.2 or higher for gTLD EPP connections.
- The number of concurrent sessions that can be established with the EPP interface will be limited to 5 per registrar.
- Command volumes will not be explicitly limited by session. Some commands may, however, be limited if they prove to be abusive e.g. excessive deletes during the add-grace period. Overall command volumes may be limited if it is excessive and causing a degraded service for other registrars.
- The idle timeout for a connection is 30 minutes.
- There is no limit to the length of time that an active connection can be used.
EPP check command
Where a domain is unavailable, a domain:check command will show the reason in the following cases:
|Id||Domain Status||EPP response|
|1||The domain is registered||<domain:reason>Registered</domain:reason>|
|2||The domain is reserved across multiple TLDs||<domain:reason>Reserved A</domain:reason>|
|3||The domain is reserved||<domain:reason>Reserved</domain:reason>|
Minerva House, Edmund Halley Road, Oxford Science Park, OX4 4DQ, United Kingdom