EPP is available in a test environment (Operational Test and Evaluation - OT&E) to provide a safe 'sandbox' database for registrars to test their systems without fear of affecting data on the 'live' registry.
The testbed database provides each registrar with a set of fictional domains, accounts, and contacts. The dataset is provided solely for testing purposes, and registrars are free to alter the data, and register new domains and accounts. The dataset will be reset daily, discarding any changes and additions made. Two testbed servers will be available, a secure EPP server using TLSv1.1 and a plain-text server. Both servers will connect to the same testbed database. The secure EPP server provides server authentication and data encryption but does not require SSL client authentication.
How to register for the EPP testbed
- Log into the Online Service.
- Sign up for the testbed service at Tag Settings->EPP Testbed.
- Enter a password for use in EPP login commands.
- Specify the IP address from which you will connect to the EPP service.
- Your new dataset will NOT be available immediately - it will be set up during the next daily reset cycle.
- These details can be changed at any time, and will be reflected on the testbed server only after its next reset cycle.
How to connect to the EPP testbed server
- Obtain an EPP client.
- In order to verify the identity of the secure server you will need the 'Verisign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority' root certificate available free from www.verisign.com (the certificate is also distributed with most web browsers).
- Connect to the secure server at testbed-epp.nominet.org.uk, port: 700.
- Connect to the plain-text server at testbed-epp.nominet.org.uk, port: 8700.
- Connections can only be made from the IP address specified above.
Objects existing in the live registry, such as domains and registrant accounts, are NOT replicated in the testbed. Only a clone of your registrar account, and a clone of each tag which is registered to use EPP, will appear in the dataset, with ID values not matching those in the live register. Aside from this, all information in the testbed will be fictional. A set of domains will be created on each tag, covering a variety of different states grouped together under a series of registrants (TAG will be replaced by your tag-name):
Simple registrant (LTD)
Double registrant (SCH)
Two separate registrants with identical account details.
Suspensions registrant (IND)
Expiry registrant (PLC)
|ganymede-TAG.net.uk||ns1.ganymede-TAG.net.uk||Expires in 181 days|
|ganymede-TAG.co.uk||ns1.ganymede-TAG.net.uk||Expires in 179 days|
|ganymede-TAG.plc.uk||ns1.ganymede-TAG.net.uk||Expires in 2 days, auto-bill=3|
|hermione-TAG.co.uk||ns1.ganymede-TAG.net.uk||Expires in 2 days, auto-bill=4|
|hermia-TAG.plc.uk||ns1.ganymede-TAG.net.uk||Expires in 2 days, next-bill=3|
|horatio-TAG.co.uk||ns1.ganymede-TAG.net.uk||Expires in 2 days, next-bill=4|
|lysander-TAG.co.uk||ns1.ganymede-TAG.net.uk||Expires in 2 days, renewed within the last 24 hours|
|macbeth-TAG.plc.uk||ns1.ganymede-TAG.net.uk||>2 years old, renewed|
|perdita-TAG.co.uk||ns1.ganymede-TAG.net.uk||Expires in 2 years|
|perdita-TAG.org.uk||ns1.ganymede-TAG.net.uk||Expires in 5 years|
|macduff-TAG.co.uk||ns1.macduff-TAG.co.uk||In renewal period, Do Not Renew set|
|mercutio-TAG.co.uk||ns1.macduff-TAG.co.uk||Not in renewal period, Do Not Cancel set|
|ophelia-TAG.co.uk||ns1.ophelia-TAG.co.uk||Domain has 1 DS Record|
Failed validation data
|portia-TAG.co.uk||ns1.portia-TAG.co.uk||Name data failed validation|
|romeo-TAG.co.uk||ns1.romeo-TAG.co.uk||Address data failed validation|
|titania-TAG.co.uk||ns1.titania-TAG.co.uk||Name and address failed validation|
|aegeon-TAG.co.uk||ns1.aegeon-TAG.co.uk||Name and address failed validation|
All tags on the testbed are marked as "DNSSEC-enabled".
To test create requests which are referred for manual intervention, applications made to the testbed for domain names ending ".ltd.uk" are validated automatically.
Changing EPP logon details & option fields
Your EPP password for the testbed (and the associated IP address) can be changed via the Online Service. Such changes will be reflected in the testbed after the next daily reset cycle. Changes to the Registry Options (e.g. Nameserver Consolidation) will likewise not be reflected immediately.
Changes made within the testbed to your EPP password will affect only the testbed, and will persist only until the next reset cycle. No data in the testbed will be copied to the live register.
The testbed environment is as close to the live environment as possible. Consequently, any (fictional) domain created in the testbed must have a unique name. In order to avoid potential name conflicts with other tags, it is suggested that you append your tag-name to the key of any domains you request.
A WHOIS server is available for the Testbed to assist with testing. The testbed server is at testbed-whois.nominet.org.uk. Usage limits of 100,000 requests per day are in force.
To generate registrar change notifications on the testbed, a clone of all tags on the testbed has been provided - all connection IP addresses are the same. This tag can be used to transfer a domain name to your tag and generate a notification. The name of the cloned tag is generated as follows:
- If the tag name has less than 16 characters, the cloned tag is the same as the original with a trailing '_'. For example, if the tag is 'EXAMPLE', the cloned tag is 'EXAMPLE_'.
- If the tag name has 16 characters, the final character has been replaced with a '_'. For example, if the tag is 'EXAMPLE-WITH-16C', the cloned tag is 'EXAMPLE-WITH-16_'.
Registrar change handshakes
When a registrar change is requested to move a domain name to another tag, a handshake may be generated. In our live system, handshakes are automatically rejected after 5 days if no action has been taken. In the test bed, this timeout is set to one hour