Supply reseller data
At a glance
- You can submit your reseller data in your registrar online account
- Reseller data is unique to each tag and cannot be shared across different tags even if they are on the same registrar account
- For each reseller you need to have the following information:
- Your reference
- Trading name
- Public URL
- You can submit your reseller data manually or by bulk upload
If you are a .uk registrar offering a reseller programme, you can supply us with some basic data about your resellers that we can use with all of our communications with those registrants. Details of how and when we will use reseller data are available.
Instructions for submitting reseller data in online service
Reseller data needs to be submitted in your registrar online service account. If you use a number of different tags you need to ensure that you select the correct tag before submitting data. Please be aware that reseller data is unique to each tag and cannot be shared across different tags even if they are on the same registrar account.
The section for submitting reseller data can be found in online services: Tag Settings > Resellers.
For each reseller you need to have the following information available:
- Your reference: This is your unique reference for each of your resellers. This field is restricted to uppercase letters A-Z, digits 0-9 and hyphens.
- Trading name: This is the trading name of the reseller and will be published exactly as entered.
- Public URL: This is the URL for the reseller that customers will be directed to for support or further information about the reseller. URLs should be entered in full (for example http://www.nominet.org.uk)
- Email: This is an email contact for the reseller. Although this address is not published it may be given out to customers requesting further support from us.
- Phone: This is a telephone number contact for the reseller. Although this phone number is not published it may be given out to customers requesting further support from us.
Reference, trading name and URL are mandatory fields and either an email or a telephone number must be supplied for each reseller.
There are two methods of submitting reseller data: manually or by bulk upload.
Single resellers can be entered manually by using the data entry form. Any errors will be marked in red and will need to be corrected before submission is accepted.
You can upload a CSV file containing all of your reseller information. On uploading the CSV file you will be asked if it contains a header row or not. The field order for the CSV file must be:
- Reference, Trading name, Public URL, Email, Phone
If you attempt to upload a file that contains errors (missing mandatory fields, non-unique references) the upload will be rejected and you will be shown an error list.
Reseller data management
You can delete or edit reseller data individually by using the appropriate links.Use of reseller data
We will use the name of the reseller, when provided, in the following emails to registrants:
- Welcome email: Where a reseller has been used to register a domain name we will replace the registrar’s details with the reseller data in our welcome email. This will include the reseller’s trading name and URL as provided by the registrar. Examples of our welcome emails are available.
- Renewal reminder: When we send renewal reminders after the expiry date has passed we will replace the registrar’s details with the reseller’s details. This will include the reseller’s trading name and URL as provided by the registrar. Examples of all of our renewal reminder emails are available.
And also in the following lookup services:
- WHOIS: Our WHOIS service will reference both the reseller and the registrar associated with a domain name. The reseller will be prefixed “Registered through:” and will show the reseller’s trading name and URL. This will be followed by the registrar’s details prefixed “Registrar:”. An example of the WHOIS output is shown on the WHOIS instruction page.
- www.keepyour.co.uk: The keepyour.co.uk web site provides information and advice about domain name renewals and uses a form of WHOIS lookup to allow the registrant to find out information about their registrar. On this site we will return contact details for the reseller.
- Online service: In the registrant’s online service account we will list the name of the reseller against each domain name in the account. The account itself is always associated to a single registrar and will therefore also show the registrar’s details.
Minerva House, Edmund Halley Road, Oxford Science Park, OX4 4DQ, United Kingdom