At a glance
- As standard your Online Services account is secured with a password of your choosing
- Two-Factor Authentication offer additional security levels
Keeping your account secure
Nominet is committed to boosting the security of our namespaces, helping to protect them from attack and exploitation. We want to help you keep your account secure from unauthorised intruders.
As standard your account is secured with a password. See below for advice about choosing a secure password.
In addition to your password, we have two optional levels of security that you can apply depending on your security requirements: passphrase and Two-Factor Authentication (2FA).
Both a passphrase and 2FA can be added within your account.
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is a two-step verification process that provides an extra layer of security to users accessing Online Services. It is achieved by combining:
- Something you know (your login and password)
- Something you have (your smartphone or another device with which you can generate a unique passcode using a free third party app such as Google Authenticator)
2FA improves Online Services account security as an intruder would have to gain access to the device where it is installed, as well as acquiring knowledge of the password/passphrase. The service reduces the risk of DNS hijacking or confidential information being compromised, and is part of a series of initiatives to enhance security.
2FA in brief
2FA is available at no extra cost. It uses the Google Authenticator apps and plug-ins – which are freely available on all major platforms – to generate secure codes that will allow you access Online Services. You can install Google Authenticator on a smart phone, tablet, laptop or PC.
Once you have activated 2FA on your account you will be required to enter a 6 digit passcode every time you access Online Services, in addition to your email and password. If you previously had a passphrase set up this will be removed when you set up 2FA.
How do I sign up to 2FA?
You can either follow the system prompts when you first login to Online Services or you can go to ‘Login settings’ and select ‘2FA – Add/manage devices’. The user guide explains the processes for signing up.
See here for further information on Nominet introducing 2FA.
It is important that you choose a secure password to protect your Online Services account:
- It should contain a minimum of 8 characters. The longer it is, the harder it is to crack
- Do not use common passwords such as ‘password’, your date of birth, pet name etc.
- Do not use a number sequence (1234) or repeated numbers (1111)
- For additional security, consider adding uppercase letters, symbols and numbers
- Use a different password for all your different accounts and never tell anyone else your password
Minerva House, Edmund Halley Road, Oxford Science Park, OX4 4DQ, United Kingdom